Welcome to cross country!
Joining the Shamrock Middle School Cross Country (MSXC) Club is a great way to gain fitness, learn about a life-long way to maintain fitness, make new friends and have lots of fun. This fall will be our 6th season… It’s always a great day to be a runner! Feel free to share this information with other middle school students- all welcome!
- Shamrock club will officially “run” from August 20th – late October. Summer practices (beginning August 20th) will begin by meeting at Sheldon HS track at 10:00 am on Monday, Wednesdays and Thursdays.
- Once school starts: Practices days TBD by August 1st… most likey will be on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 4:10-5:25pm, (trying new times this season due to change in 4J school schedule… times subject to small changes if needed- coaches still need to confirm best days of the week for our schedules, thank you for your patience) meeting at Sheldon HS track and training on the trails on Sheldon campus. ** Practices will not conflict with Sheldon HS meets- You will get advance notice by email if practice days change.
- Complete calendar of meets and practices will be given closer to September.
A bit about our goals and training philosophy for the middle school age group:
- Gain Basic knowledge of cross country, training principles, meet procedures, types of workouts, safety while running, trail/ street etiquette
- Fundamentals/Foundation building. This program will build a foundation for high school. We help the kids gain knowledge and experience but keep the volume low- we know lots of kids playing other sports too and that is great- activity is great! XC is a great compliment to other sports and great to be a well-rounded athlete. Hopefully they learn to enjoy and respect the sport of cross country (and track in the spring) and become participants and fans for years!
- Training based on minutes and “perceived effort” so workouts can be catered to all levels of experience.
- Team and individual roles- how to be a good teammate and take care of yourself and others
- Learn from Sheldon High School Cross country team- our schedule will never conflict with Sheldon XC meets and as often as possible we will have our team run in the MS division races at the same meets as Sheldon.
5-6 Races for middle school teams only. Races are usually 3000 meters (1.8 miles) Schedule pending but usually Saturdays. We will race on same day and location at a few of the Sheldon HS meets.
Volunteer coaches: Jill Mestler, Steve Willow and Renee Buchanan. We have many years experience and each have kids on the MS and HS teams- feel free to call or stay and talk with us at any practice and we are happy to provide more info.
Fee is $85 and waiver must be signed. The Club fee covers t-shirt for each athlete, meet entries, treats for the kids at some practices and meets. Any proceeds will be donated to Sheldon program and trail maintenance. Registration begins in July. Thank you!
Download the 2018 registration form here
Head coach contact :
Jill Mestler / 541.221.2929/ firstname.lastname@example.org