Shamrock MSXC season goals and basic information:
Welcome to cross country! Joining the Shamrock Middle School Cross Country (MSXC) Club is a great way to gain fitness, learn about a life-long way to maintain fitness, make new friends and have lots of fun. This fall will be our 4th season. It’s always a great day to be a runner!
Shamrock club will officialy “run” from August 15th-late October.
Summer practices (beginning August 15th) will meet at Alton Baker park OR Sheldon HS- watch email for exact practice location
Once school starts: Practices will generally be on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 4:00-5:15 pm, meeting at Sheldon HS track and training on the trails on Sheldon campus.
** Practices will not conflict with Sheldon HS meets- You will get advance notice by email if practice days change.
Complete calendar of meets and practices will be given closer to September.
A bit about the goals and training philosophy for the middle school age group:
Gain Basic knowledge of cross country, training principles, meet procedures, types of workouts, safety while running , trail/ street etiquette
Fundamentals/Foundation building. This program will build a foundation for high school. We help the kids gain knowledge and experience but keep the volume low- we know lots of kids are playing other sports too and that is great- activity is great! XC is a great compliment to other sports and it’s great to be a well-rounded athlete. Hopefully they learn to enjoy and respect the sport of cross country (and track in the spring) and become participants and fans for years!
Training based on minutes and “perceived effort” so workouts can be catered to all levels of experience.
Team and individual roles- how to be a good teammate and take care of yourself and others
Learn from Sheldon High School Cross country team- our schedule will never conflict with Sheldon XC meets and as often as possible we will have our team run in the MS division races at the same meets as Sheldon.
5-6 Races for middle school teams only. Races are usually 3000 meters (1.8 miles) Schedule pending but usually Saturdays. We will race on same day and location as a few of the Sheldon HS meets- when MS races are available.
Volunteer coaches: Jill Mestler, Jesica Mazziotti and Renee Buchanan. We have many years experience and each have kids on the MS and HS teams- feel free to call or stay and talk with us at any practice and we are happy to provide more info.
Fee is $80 and waiver must be signed. The Club fee covers t-shirt for each athlete, meet entries, treats for the kids at some practices and meets. Any proceeds will be donated to Sheldon program and trail maintenance. You can download the waiver form here
Registration begins end of July. Thank you!
Head coach contact : Jill Mestler / 541.221.2929/ email@example.com
Just a reminder:
TUESDAY (9/1/2015) We meet at Sheldon at 9:00am
THURSDAY (9/3/2015) We meet at Alton Baker 9:00am
We have only had a week of practice so kids are still more than welcome to join!
Wow- what a great first week! Thank you for all the support and bringing the kids! We have around 45 kids so far and that number is welcome to grow too 🙂
Practice this week:
- Tuesday– 9:00 am @SHELDON (meet at track, run on trails at Sheldon)
- Thursday– 9:00am @Alton Baker
- Friday– 9:00 am @ SHELDON… but let me know how many kids have schedule (WEB crew?) or other conflicts.
I will send out RACE SCHEDULE tomorrow, but a few dates to note so far…:
- We will have a PRACTICE meet (with just our team and maybe the Oakhill school team) for kids to have a little time trial sometime soon… either Monday August 31st OR Saturday Sept. 5th. (I know it is Labor Day weekend so aiming for the 31st!!)
- Saturday– Sept. 12th– there is an “open” 3K race (open means anyone can run in it) up in ,Monmouth @ the Western Oregon univ. campus. this race is right before the Sheldon team races up there. There is a middle school only race the day before, but that does not work for our schedule (school) so it will be an option to have all our kids compete along with the “open” field (but NOT high school or college kids in their race, just other random adults 🙂
- TUESDAY September 15th @ Oakhill school- this is right next to Lane community college campus in Eugene. girls race at 5:00pm and boys at 5:30pm. Jesica and I met with the coach and previewed the course today. This will be a middle school only race and they are really happy to host us and make it really fun for the kids. The coach even moved the race time to later in the day to accommodate the kids to have time to get out of school and get rides out to the meet.
- * VERY optional meet- Saturday September 26th– there is a huge middle school meet up in Portland as part of the Nike pre-national meet. Middle school races at 8:00 am and 8:30 am so very, very inconvenient. I only mention this meet incase anyone wants to make this work- my family will likely be in Portland that day so I could be at the meet. just letting you know since it is a neat meet.
- Saturday, October 3rd– @ Harrier classic meet in Albany. Noonish. Great meet, middle school only race (did this meet last year)
- Saturday, October 17th– @ Cottage Grove HS 3K. Early morning start. We did this meet last year too and kids loved it. *** Emerald Valley TC is also planning a meet in Eugene for this day but we are hoping to work with them on the date so our team and other teams can run in their meet.
I WILL BE ADDING AT LEAST 2 MORE MEETS TO THIS SCHEDULE- for sure one in Alton Baker even if it just our team and a few more from the area.
More to come….
October 24th OR 25th we will have a meet…