Shamrock MSXC season goals and basic information:
Welcome to cross country! Joining the Shamrock Middle School Cross Country (MSXC) Club is a great way to gain fitness, learn about a life-long way to maintain fitness, make new friends and have lots of fun. This fall will be our 3rd season. First year was 21 athletes, second year grew to 42 athletes in our club and we are excited to grow even more this season. It’s always a great day to be a runner!
- Shamrock club will official “run” from August 18th-late October.
- Practices will be Tuesdays and Thursdays from 4:00-5:15pm, meeting at Sheldon HS track and training on the trails on Sheldon campus.
- We will offer (free) opportunities to meet for short, easy runs once a week in July- Most likely Monday mornings at 9:00 am. Watch for emails after July 4th. This is a good way to ease into a little running before the season officially begins.
A bit about the goals and training philosophy for the middle school age group:
- Gain Basic knowledge of cross country, training principles, meet procedures, types of workouts, safety while running, trail/ street etiquette
- Fundamentals/Foundation building. This program will build a foundation for high school. We help the kids gain knowledge and experience but keep the volume low- we know lots of kids playing other sports too and that is great- activity is great! XC is a great compliment to other sports and great to be a well-rounded athlete. Hopefully they learn to enjoy and respect the sport of cross country (and track in the spring) and become participants and fans for years!
- Training based on minutes and “perceived effort” so workouts can be catered to all levels of experience.
- Team and individual roles- how to be a good teammate and take care of yourself and others
- Learn from Sheldon High School Cross country team- our schedule will never conflict with Sheldon XC meets and as often as possible we will have our team run in the middle school division races at the same meets as Sheldon.
5-6 Races for middle school teams only. Races are usually 3000 meters (1.8 miles) Schedule pending but usually Saturdays. We will race on same day and location as a few of the Sheldon HS meets- when MS races are available.
Volunteer coaches: Jill Mestler and Jesica Mazziotti. We have many years experience and each have kids on the MS and HS teams- feel free to call or stay and talk with us at any practice and we are happy to provide more info.
Fee is $80 and waiver must be signed. The Club fee covers t-shirt for each kid, uniform top, meet entries, treats for the kids at some practices and meets. Any proceeds will be donated to Sheldon program. Registration begins end of July. Thank you!
Click here to download 2015 Shamrock XC Registration form
You can contact Jill using the below form: